2010年12月14日星期二

Flow rate of N2 with know pressure

I am trying to figure out the flow rate of nitrogen through a 1" line.  I have a high pressure (40 lb) nitrogen flowing in a 1" line.  Can anyone direct me in finding charts that would correlate pressure of a certain line size with expected N2 flow rate.  Or perhaps guidance into pressure and flow rate realtionships. 
Here is what I basically did already...but i'm not sure if I am correct, the flow seems a bit too low ??!

Line Diameter : 1 " (.0254 m)
Line Length : 934 "  (28 m)
Volume = L*A = 934*.25*pi*(.0254^2)=.012 m^3

using the Ideal Gas Law :
Mass(kg)
Press (Pa)=40 psi *6894.757 Pa/PSI = 275790.3 Pa
Volume (m^3)=.012
R (Pa.m^3/Kg.mol.K) = 8314.3
T (ambient)(K)= 298
M (Molec. Weight) (Kg/Kg.mol)=28.0134

Mass=[(press*Volume)/(R*T)]*M)=.037 kg

Once I have my Mass, since I don't have two pressures because this 40 lb pressure is constant than can I assume that my mass flowrate to be the mass that I calculated per second ?
if so then it would be .037 Kg/s

and then I would divide this by my density= 1.185 kg/m^3 (at at 1 bar 15 deg C)and this will give me my Volumetric Flow Rate of 0.032 m^3/s

Can anyone tell me if I am doing this accurately or if I am making some mistakes...I am actually a mechanical engineer and havn't had too much experience with the ideal gas law.
Assuming your pressure is absolute pressure, you seem to have calculated
the mass of N2 in the line successfully. This has no relationship to
the flow however. As you say you have no pressure drop, you actually
imply that there is no flow.

It might help to say what your line
goes to and/or where it comes from. Is it flowing freely to the air?
Does it feed a piece of equipment running at 40psia? Does it feed a
regulator? Is this the branch line off a header?

I think it is
cool that mechanical engineers can get some simple help like this in the
forum, but you must provide a little more detail. Best of luck, sshep

p.s. most engineers in this forum wouldn't consider 40 psia very high pressure.

Compressible flow problems can be complex and very frustrating.  Is
it isothermal flow, or is it adiabatic flow?  Which one of these two
“models” is my “real world” problem closest to?  Is the flow subsonic,
choked (sonic), or supersonic?

From my interpretation of what you
wrote and did (calculation wise), I can see you need lots of help on
this particular problem.  My first advice to you is get someone there
that knows chemical process engineering to help you.  If that is not
possible, then I have a lot of questions to ask in order to help you:

What schedule is the 1” pipe?  We are after the inside diameter.

On
the upstream end of the 1” line, what is the 1” line connected
to?  Does it tee into a larger nitrogen supply header at 40 psia?  Is it
connected to a pressure vessel with nitrogen at 40 psia?  For the
purposes of this problem, can it be considered an unlimited supply of
nitrogen, or is it a standard cylinder of nitrogen going through a
regulator connected to the 1” line?  In short, what’s the source of the
nitrogen?

How long is the 1” line?  You said 934 inches, which is 23.7 meters, not 28 meters.

What
type of fittings are in the 1” line and how many are they?  How many
valves are in the 1” line?  What types and what size?  How many 90
degree elbows are in the 1” line? How many 45 degree elbows are in the
1” line?  Are there any Y-type strainers in the 1” line?  Is there a
control valve in the 1” line?  What size?  What type?  What’s the
Cv?  Are there any branch-run tees in the 1” line? Are there any
line-run tees in the 1” line?  Is there a check valve in the 1”
line?  Is there any other fittings in the 1” line?  Describe the
connection of the 1” line to the  neutralizer column.  Does it go into
the column below the liquid surface, or into the vapor space?

Is the 1” line insulated?

Are
there any controls in place that regulate the flow of nitrogen in the
1” line or downstream of the 1” line?  I don’t know your process, but
nitrogen is not inexpensive, and I find it hard to believe that a
neutralization column would need a large flow of nitrogen all the time,
unless it was also being used as a stripper.
From the originalGate Valve
.

没有评论:

发表评论